Welcome to The Writing Center's Schedule!
Appointments can be booked up to two weeks in advance.
The Writing Center
is located in Briggs 131.
Call us at 313-993-1022.
Visit our university website for full information about The Writing Center: www.udmercy.edu/twc
TWC Policy and Procedures
HOW TO DO AN ONLINE APPOINTMENT IN TWC: 1. LOGIN TO OUR SYSTEM USING YOUR NORMAL LOGIN/PASSWORD. 2. CLICK ON YOUR APPOINTMENT (IN THE TIME SLOT YOU BOOKED). 3. WHEN THE APPOINTMENT INFORMATION OPENS, YOU WILL SEE RED TEXT THAT SAYS "start or join online consultation"--CLICK ON THAT. 4. WHEN YOU JOIN THE ONLINE CHAT, YOU WILL SEE A BIG BOX TO THE LEFT THAT IS WHERE YOU CAN PASTE YOUR DRAFT, AND A BOX TO THE RIGHT THAT IS THE "CHAT." THE ONLINE APPOINTMENT IS LIVE, MEANING YOU WILL ACTIVELY ENGAGE WITH THE CONSULTANT, TALKING BACK AND FORTH ABOUT YOUR DRAFT. ONCE THE FULL 30-MINUTE SESSION HAS BEEN COMPLETED, YOU CAN COME IN TO TWC NEXT TIME YOU'RE ON CAMPUS TO GET PROOF OF ATTENDANCE.
For each semester:
1. During the first 12 weeks of the semester, students may make up to TWO 30-minute appointments per day (though not back-to-back) and up to FOUR per week. Students attempting to abuse this policy will have Writing Center priviledges suspended. Modifications to this policy are in effect during the last three weeks of the semester (as noted below).
2. Undergrad appointments are limited to 30 minutes. In the first 12 weeks of the semester, undergraduate students can request a 2nd appointment in the same day, but these appointments may not be back-to-back. To schedule a 2nd appt, call or come in to request this from the consultants on duty.
Graduate students have the option of one 60 minute, in-person appointment per day with select consultants only (Cindy, Stuart or Allison) OR up to two 30-minute appointments (not back-to-back) per day with any consultant. Graduate students who take an hour-long appointment are therefore limited to two hour-long appts a week (equivalent to 2 hours, the same as if they had 4 half-hour appts). At this time, 60-min appointments are not available online for graduate students. Graduate students interested in hour-long appointments should do the following: 1. book a 30-minute appt in the time slot of choice, then 2. email Writing Center Coordinator, Cindy Spires, at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to extend, or call 313-993-1022. Lastly, 3. be specific about the half hour time slot to extend into and provide a minimum of 48-hours to do this. No last-minute requests will be authorized; in those cases, single half hour appts will stand as-is. **Modifications to this policy are in effect during the last three weeks of the semester.** Hour-long sessions for graduate students are only available to be booked with Cindy, Stuart, or Allison IF the schedule permits.
All appointments, including online, are interactive between the student and the consultant FOR A FULL 30-MINUTE SESSION. Students are advised to come prepared to work and learn both in person and in the online session environment. There is no "drop off" service either in person or online at The Writing Center. Consultants do not proofread or edit papers for students; instead, we assist students with stages of the writing process in order to learn (over time) how to improve in terms of writing conventions, including grammar and punctuation. PROOF OF ATTENDANCE WILL NOT BE GIVEN FOR SESSIONS LASTING LESS THAN 25 MINUTES for any given half-hour session.
*Students can book appointments up to two-weeks in advance except during the final three weeks of the semester, which will be adjusted to one week in advance. No exceptions to this will be made.
3. LATE APPOINTMENTS & MISSED APPOINTMENTS: Students arriving 5 minutes after their scheduled time will have their missed appointment documented in the system, and the appointment will be forfeited. This is for in-person and online appointments. The appointment will be recorded as "missed." After 3 missed appointments, students will be locked out of the system and will have to contact the Writing Center Coordinator in person (Briggs 131) in order to request account reactivation (email: email@example.com or tel: 313-993-1022). Accounts that become blocked during the final 3 weeks of the semester will not be reactivated due to the increase in demand for TWC appointments during this time, so please keep track of appointments and properly cancel them if you can't make it.
4. Students - not Consultants - are responsible for keeping track of the date and time of their appointments and how many appointments they have had.
5. Appointment records are kept via the online program and on "blue sheets." Blue sheets must be initialed/signed, dated + stamped by a Writing Center Consultant to be considered valid by an instructor. Students attempting to abuse the proof of attendance system The Writing Center uses will have priviledges suspended. STAMPS WILL NOT BE PROVIDED FOR SESSIONS THAT DO NOT LAST AT LEAST 25 MINUTES, SO PLEASE COME PREPARED!
6. Appointments are available for matriculated UDM students for UDM classes. This means that only students who are currently enrolled in UDM classes are permitted to use The Writing Center. Our services do not currently extend to faculty, staff or their family members, unless they are enrolled in a Detroit Mercy course. Additionally, the consultation session MUST be about a project or assignment for a current Detroit Mercy class. We are sorry, but we are unable to offer services to non-UDM students or non-enrolled alumni at this time. Please check with the Career Services office in Reno if you are an alumni.
7. If you have not registered on the website prior to your appointment, you must do so before your appointment begins so your visit can be properly logged into the system.
8. Students may only access the computers in order to schedule appointments. NO PRINTING or checking e-mail.
9. Due to space limitations, only students with appointments or those making an appointment are permitted in the center. Because of the nature of our small space, please keep noise at a minimum when in the Writing Center; therefore, no listening to music or watching videos in the center without headphones that mute the sound enough so that others aren't disturbed. Thank you!
10. Please turn your phone off before your consultation. There is also no food permitted during sessions.
11. To schedule TWC workshops, call or come in. Let the Consultants know which TWC Workshop you want to sign up for. Provide your UDmercy.edu email address. Space is limited. On-time arrival the day of the Workshop is expected. See Policies posted in TWC for full information.
ATTN: During the last 3 weeks of the semester (starting Monday 11/18 through Wednesday 12/11), The Writing Center will have the following limits on the scheduling of appointments, and the booking window is also reduced to one week in advance:
Undergraduates are limited to one 30-minute session per day, up to two per week.
Graduate students are limited to one hour long session (with Cindy, Stuart or Allison) if the schedule permits, OR two 30-minute sessions on different days with any consultant.
Having trouble logging in? Enter your email address below and then click "Reset Password." The system will immediately email you with instructions for changing your password. If you do not receive that email in a few minutes, please check your spam filter.